Saturday, July 30, 2022

Saturday 9



I Would Be in Love (Anyway) 1970
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Frank Sinatra sings, "If I knew then what I know now." If you were giving advice to a recent high school grad, based on that phrase, what would you say? Don't rush things. Enjoy your college years. Be yourself. Don't do things to please others. Learn things about yourself. Ask your parents questions about you and them. Document your life.

2) This song is about a man looking back on his marriage, which has ended. While he is sad, he is not sorry he loved her. Do you believe that it's better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all?
For the most part I do. I lost a close friendship, not by my choice and it was very painful. After I went through the stages if grief, I could finally accept the past and not feel so hurt. She was there for long season. I am still glad we had what we did for the years we had. I always say "life happens" It is up to me to make the most of the time I have with my life. 


3) Sinatra married four times. He met his first wife, Nancy, when he was 19. He saw a pretty girl sitting on her front porch, giving herself a pedicure, and he rushed home for his ukulele so he could serenade her. Have you ever sung to anyone? Has anyone ever sung to you? When my husband and I were dating, we would mail each other letters. We would write song titles on the envelope. "Just My Imagination" and other songs that were popular. Does Happy Birthday count? I sang to all my children and grandchildren as I rocked them. Most were Bible songs.
 
4) According to Barbara, his final wife, they met when they were neighbors in Rancho Mirage, California. Sinatra had his own tennis court, needed a fourth for doubles with his houseguests, and invited the lady next door to play. Tell us about your neighbors. When I grew up, everyone knew everyone. We made friends easily in our first few homes because we had young kids. We know our immediate neighbors.  One of my friends lives on my block. One neighbor knows everything about everyone. She is in her 80's and in good shape.

5) When not performing before an audience or cameras, Sinatra often wore hats and caps because his hair was thin, and his toupee annoyed him. Is there anything you wear for "dress up" that you're happy to ditch when you go casual? Makeup.

6) Frank had a sweet tooth and to the end of his life, he enjoyed chocolate-covered apricots, ordered from Lepore's in his hometown of Hoboken, NJ. If you could have any sweet treat right now, what would you request? Creme Brulee.


7) This song was written specifically for Sinatra by Bob Gaudio, best known as a member of The Four Seasons. That 1960s quartet is now legendary. In addition to 25 Top Ten Hits, they are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and inspired the Broadway play and movie musical, Jersey Boys. Do you have a favorite Four Seasons song? Can't Take My Eyes Off You.  I loved all their songs.  I was so sad I missed the Jersey Boys musical in Las Vegas. It was closed the night we were there. By the time we got back to Vegas, it was gone. I do have a Franki Valli Radio station on my Pandora playlist. 


8) In 1970, the year this record was released, The Mary Tyler Moore Show premiered. Were you a fan? Yes I loved watching her show! I used to watch her on the Dick Van Dyke Show too!



9) Random question: Have you ever named your car or truck? No



5 comments:

The Gal Herself said...

That creme brulee looks AWESOME!

I can recall my mom singing to my baby sister, but not to me. I suspect she sang to me when I was tiny, which is why I don't remember it.

I think I like Laura Petrie better than Mary Richards. (You're one of the few Sat 9ers who would know what that means.)

CountryDew said...

I think Happy Birthday counts.

Stacy said...

Maybe it's just me, but the new, younger folks in the neighborhood seem hard to get to know. They just aren't interested in knowing the neighbors. Sign me up for that creme brulee...YUM!

Bev Sykes said...

I love #2. I"ve had exactly the same experience.

Not sure which I likve better--Laura Petrie or Mary Richards. I think Laura, but that could be because of Dick van Dyke.

zippiknits...sometimes said...

Your answer to question 1 is perfect in all respects. And yes, Happy Birthday counts. That's so sweet that you sang to your babies. Creme Brulee sounds wonderful. Yum! It's sad when a friendship ends and you just don't know why. But life moves us on and sometimes it breaks friendship in the doing...