Saturday, May 9, 2020

Sat.9 I'll Always Love My Mama




Saturday 9: I'll Always Love My Mama (1973)

Mom and I in 1973 at the Girls League Mother Daughter Banquet. I said the prayer that night.

1) This week's featured artists, The Intruders, sing that they don't know how their mama made it through the week without ever getting a good night's sleep. How did you sleep last night? I slept well, but did not get enough sleep. My problem is not getting to bed early enough. Then something woke me up so I had less than 6 hours sleep.

2) The Intruders performed this song on Soul Train, a syndicated show that ran for more than 3 decades. What show do you try never to miss? There are lots of shows I like, mostly medical/fire/police. I watched Soul Train for several years. We had neighborhood friends that came over and we would dance. Somewhere I have a picture of me dancing in a soul train line dance with kids from my youth group. We saw the Jacksons and Gladys Night and the Pips and so many other great Motown performers on Soul Train. When I got married in 1974, we had a Soul Train line that was super long. It was lots of fun. So many fun good memories! We also watched American Bandstand. I remember my aunt dancing with us around 1962. I love music!

3) On Soul Train, the Intruders wore solid black shirts beneath their brightly colored jackets. Black, white, khaki, navy and gray are considered neutral colors, because they go with everything. If we were to check your closet, which would we find you wear most often: black, white, khaki, navy or gray? I would say black.

4) Especially for Mother's Day: Access Hollywood named Carol Brady of The Brady Bunch TV's #1 mom. Who is your favorite TV mom? I liked Carol Brady too.

5) Mother Winters always gave Sam peppermint tea to calm her stomach. Do you have any tried-and-true home remedies to share? I use to drink a lot of peppermint tea for a stomach tea, but I had to stop because it aggravated my esophagus and I got really bad heartburn. I like to use honey for various things. I buy it at our local farmers market. I also use essential oils. I mix coconut oil and essential oils to make my own face cream and lotions. I have a lotion I use for sore muscles. I make my own sugar scrubs for the bath. I drink Chamomile tea with honey to sleep.

6) Sam's mother always tips 15% in restaurants. Sam has worked in food service and is more judgmental, tipping between 10% and 25%, depending on the quality of the service. What's your tipping policy? Are you more like Sam or her mother? How do you handle tips for carry out or delivery during this Covid-19 crisis? When we use to each out we would tip between 15 and 20% depending on the place and the service. We have only had one food delivery and we gave him $5.00

7) When the tip of her shoelace becomes frayed, Sam's mother snips off the end and then paints the tip with clear nail polish. Good as new! Sam thinks that's crazy because you can just buy new laces for less than $2. Are you more frugal like mother or spendthrift like daughter? I try to do things myself. Sometimes I am frugal and other times I am not. I color my own hair and forgo the nail salon so that I have money for my crafts. My crafts have kept me and the grands busy during this stay at home time.

8) Mother Winters loves how french vanilla smells and burns her Yankee Candles all year around. Do you use scented candles or air fresheners? I have allergies so I use essential oils. I put oil in a diffuser. I have different scents that I use at different times of the years. I have some I use when I am not feeling well. I use Young Living oils and they have special oils

9) Sam is celebrating Mother's Day with her mother's favorite, Hershey Bars. Would you prefer classic milk chocolate, dark chocolate or chocolate with almonds?I like dark chocolate with almonds. But I had to give up chocolate when I got acid reflux. I do have a new page listed above called Fun Things, and there is a funny about chocolate.

Mom and I in 2007, she passed in May of 2010. I sure miss her!

A tribute page to her is Here.

7 comments:

CountryDew said...

Chocolate certainly does add to acid reflux. I have that problem, too, but milk chocolate doesn't bother it as much as dark chocolate. I am surprised you can use essential oils because they bother me terribly. I have tried them and not been able to use them. Any scent seems to set off my asthma. Frustrating!

Stacy said...

Such wonderful memories you shared! I remember dancing with my friends to the music on Soul Train and American Bandstand. The problem with Soul Train here was that it was always on very late at night so we could only watch and dance together if we had a sleepover. Bandstand was on in the late afternoon and then toward the end at noon on Saturdays. I love that photo of you and your mom! Have a great day!

Linda M. Conley said...

Whoa cool! You were on Soul Train???? WOWOWOWOWOW...that is so cool. Wishing you a very Happy Mothers Day, smiles.

The Gal Herself said...

We always watched American Bandstand, too, but it wasn't for the dancing. We loved it when Dick Clark counted off the top ten songs. It was VERY important to see #1. Soul Train was on closer to lunchtime, so I didn't get to watch that with my friends because we all home in our own kitchens.

Loved the photos of your mom, and I looked at the tribute page. You did a great job! My mom was born in 1935, so the clothes and cars and furnishings reminded me of her, too.

songbird's crazy world said...

I was more Bandstand than Soul Train ...

Lori said...

What fun memories of Soul Train! I hardly ever watched it. I watched Bandstand.
Happy Mother's Day!!! I love the picture of you and your mom. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend!

http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

Annie said...

How cool that you had a soul train line at your wedding!! That would have been so much fun. I know how much you miss your mother. Isn't it wonderful you will see her again. God is so good.