Monday, September 7, 2026

Tuesday 4 & Wednesday Hodgepodge



1. How do you observe Labor Day and were you aware of the background of it? We don't do anything special. Everyone just relaxes that day. Grandson will be working because the school is closed and the amusement park is opened.

2. Many holidays become just a day off rather than a real commemoration of an event.  
How do you propose we can remedy that? Not sure. I am retired. Two of my kids were off and relaxed at home after a busy weekend. One son works at Kroger's and he had to work since he was off for the weekend. 

3. What is the most labor intensive job or activity you have done? Childbirth! My husband worked in the cement business with his family for a few years and he said it was hard work.
   
4. If your income was cut by 30%, could you still survive?  What would you do? Yes, we could survive, but we would have to cut back some things. I try to live within my means now. My trip to Israel, certain things needed for it and my new phone were paid by the sale of my mom's ring to my brother. I have savings for emergencies. The biggest expense besides utilities is gas for the car.  

1. ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?  On a scale of 1-10 how much of a fan are you? (10 is never miss a game and 1 is I'm just here for the snacks). Who's your team? If you're playing along today, but live outside the US feel free to sub your feelings about futbol for the more American sport of football. I am not really into football. I will go to my son's family to watch a super bowl game/party

2. What's something you currently have a game plan for managing? Going over my accounts with my daughter before I go to Israel. I just got my ETA-Israel, Electronic Travel Authorization online. It is like a visa, but all electronic and no paperwork. No stamping of the passport which is sad.

3. Do you like chicken wings? Hot, mild, or some other flavor? What's a must have food for you on a tailgate menu? I know tailgating isn't as big of a thing outside the US of A as it is inside the US of A, but you can also answer the question this way-what's a must have food for you at a sporting event viewing party? I do like chicken wings and my son makes them for us and they are really good. I found some sauce at Aldi's we like to go with it. Chips and dip, fresh fruit, dessert.

4. Teams typically have strict playbooks they follow. What is one unwritten rule or piece of advice in your 'life playbook' you think everyone should know? Life happens, sometimes good and sometimes bad. How you handle it is up to you. Look at the bright side. Ask for help when you need it.

5. This is the week we remember and mourn all that was lost and changed on September 11, 2001. I always include a spot for bloggers to share anything they'd like to share about 9/11. Share as much or as little as you like. I don't think I could ever forget that day. Hubby and were getting in the car that morning around 5am and listening to the news, We could not believe what we were hearing. We both worked at the post office, him at a station and me at a main facility. Our office went up to a higher security alert. I remember how anxious my husband was with the mail poison mail alerts. It was a sad time. I went to NY in 2008 and they were just starting the foundation for the new structure. I liked how people came together and churches filled up. I did this tribute page back then. It is here. 
My grands were there in December of 2021 and saw the Freedom Tower.

6.Insert your own random thought here. My granddaughter had her Sweet 16th party this past weekend and it was a lot of fun. We took a lot of pictures. They had a taco man and DJ. They had a photo booth and photographer. They had a dessert stand where they made ice creams sundaes with lots of different toppings. Hubby left after this picture to be with the dogs.


 

14 comments:

Mari said...

It's hard to believe it's been 25 years since 9/11. I remember the day so clearly.
Lovely photo of your beautiful family!

Jo-Anne's Ramblings Aussie Jo said...

A sweet 16 party isn't a thing here, it is just another birthday, I like the family photo

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Susan. 9/11 was a sad day and I remember it very clearly. It was so scary. It's hard to believe that it has been 25 years since it happened. Your trip to Israel sounds so exciting. I would like to go to the Holy Land one day. Hope that you are having a good September. I hope to have a little more time to visit blogs now that our old house is sold. Have a good week. See you again soon!

Maria Rineer said...

Great family picture! It sounds like a really fun party for your granddaughter. How exciting to be going to Israel! I'm sure there are many things to get lined up but it sounds like you're getting them done.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

What a lovely "sweet 16" birthday girl and wonderful family portrait. I did not realize it would be a "formal event", and she looks so beautiful. I'm sure she had a wonderful day! What a blessing! Re: 9-11, it is a day that I will never forget. My husband's 1st cousin died in one of the towers. Although our families were not close because they lived in NJ and we lived in Florida and they had not seen each other since they were children, but it still hurt our whole family deeply and everytime they show those names scrolling past on the screen on 9-11, we see his name and pray for his family and so many who lost their lives that day. May we never forget!
I am praying for your trip to Israel and that everything will go safely and smoothly for you and that you will be able to see and do everything as planned. It will truly be the adventure of a lifetime, and I hope you take a LOT of pictures to share with us!! Have a blessed rest of your week.

ellen b. said...

What a special sweet 16 party! I can only imagine the heightened security in the jobs you had. What a time that was. Hope your trip to Israel is great. It is sad that passports aren't stamped like they used to be.

Carla from The River said...

LOVE the family photo. :-)
I am sad that they no longer stamp passports as well. I still have my old passport with my Ukraine stamps. :-)

Joyce said...

Happy birthday to your granddaughter. What a nice family photo. We were just looking at some old passports hubs found in a file cabinet the other day and commenting about how much we miss the stamps. It was exciting to see them all across the pages and a. nice reminder of when and where you'd traveled.

Faith said...

Being a NYer on 9/11 was just horrible. We were all in shock. Of course the whole nation was but it definitely impacted us NYers in a whole different way. Life sure did change after that didn't it?

LOVED your intensive labor answer!!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Interesting answers for your Tuesday 4. I'm not into football but do watch some games with Mark. Glad you are working on things for your trip and that is sad about no stamp on your passport. Your menu sounds good for a get together. Yes, definitely ask for help when you need it. 9/11 will never be forgotten. Such a sad time for our country.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Sorry I missed number six. Happy Birthday to your granddaughter. Sounds like a fun party. Lovely photo.

Gloria said...

I do have a tribute to 911 on my blog.
Go to the below
https://gloriasretiredlife.blogspot.com/
if you want to see it.

Gloria said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gloria said...

I have a new Tuesday for MeMe - but to get to it you have to hit Gloria's Retired Life.