Saturday, June 19, 2021



Saturday 9: Papa, Can You Hear Me? (1984)
This song was chosen in honor of Father's Day. Hear it here.

1) The song begins with a prayer to "God, our Heavenly Father." Do you often pray? Yes daily! It is a very important part of my life. I talk to him during the day but my long prayer time is at night.

2) This song is from the movie Yentl. Set in the early 1900s, it tells the story of a Polish girl determined to receive a religious education, even though the custom of the day banned girls from studying the Talmud. What subject do you wish you knew more about? Math. The fear of math kept me from pursuing the medical field. If I had received better counseling,  I may have succeeded. Now I encourage my kids to move forward in spite of your fear.

3) It took Streisand more than 15 years to get Yentl made. Studios initially rejected the project, telling her that audiences no longer want to see musicals. Then, because it centered on Judaism, she was told it was "too ethnic." But Yentl was a success at the box office, becoming one of the most profitable movies of the year -- and since Barbra was producer, director and star, she enjoyed those profits. Tell us about a time you're glad you stuck with something. I went through infertility. It took 4 years, infertility doctors, 3 miscarriages, medicine, shots and bedrest. God blessed me with 3 children.

4) The movie, and this song, were so popular that they earned a parody on The Simpsons. (See it here.)  That video has had more than 250,000 views. Before the Yentl parody, what's the last YouTube video you watched? My grandson playing the drums and it is posted on the link above in the header.

5) Barbra Streisand's father died suddenly, the result of complications after an epileptic seizure, just after her first birthday. He held degrees in both English Literature and Education and was a school superintendent. Do you know anyone who made a career in education? Yes my brother in law and my nephew. 

6) Sam's own father wasn't an educator, but he is crazy about the local library. He's there so much the librarians greet him by name. Do you have a library card? No I don't. I lost it. I do need to get over there this summer and take my grands.

7) For family barbecues, Sam's dad proudly dons his "Kiss the Chef" apron and mans the Weber. What's the last thing you cooked on the grill? My husband does most of the grilling. He has been teaching my grandson. My grandson cooked grilled chicken and steak on Monday.

8) He takes his grilling very seriously and jealously guards his marinade recipe. Do you have a recipe you're willing to share this morning? My husband does a marinade that includes lemon and oranges. I added a recipe below.

9) Sam's father hates it when his daughter swears. What's the latest curse word you used? (It's OK, we don't blush easily.) I don't like to use bad words. Oh shoot is what I sometimes say.

In my previous post I shared pictures my grandson playing drums.
The video is on the menu link above. If you visit, please give a thumbs up. Thanks!



This is a recipe I found from October 2020
I think I would use strawberries for the summer.

~Cranberry Raspberry JELL-O Dessert~

1(6 oz.) JELL-O Raspberry Flavor Gelatin

2 cups boiled water

1 can  (16 oz.) whole berry cranberry sauce

1 can  (20 oz.) DOLE crushed pineapple, un-drained

1 (11 oz.) can of mandarin oranges in light syrup, drained.

1 apple, chopped in small pieces.

2/3 cup  walnuts

Mix JELL-O with boiling water. Let it cool. Add the pineapple and cranberries.

Put it in the fridge for a few hours, mixing occasionally.

Peel and dice the apple.  Take out JELL-O from the fridge, add apple and walnuts.

3- Refrigerate overnight or until firm.

I remember my mom making this in a beautiful mold. She would place some pretty dark green lettuce down on a plate and then turn the mold over the lettuce. It was so pretty!








12 comments:

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I enjoyed your post. I don't think I ever saw "Yentl", but wish I did. I enjoyed Barbra Streisand's musicals, but I don't particularly care for her politics, etc. now. Your jello recipe is very similar to one I make usually at Thanksgiving. It goes well with turkey because of the cranberries. I love jello dishes like that, but my family doesn't seem to enjoy them as much as I do, so I end up eating most of it! LOL. So thankful with you that God helped you through your infertility problems and blessed you with 3 healthy children. God is so good. Have a blessed weekend.

The Gal Herself said...

Loved your answers today. First of all, my favorite grandma loooooved experimenting with her Jello salads. She was known for them at church luncheons.

My nephew got into math through his love of baseball: watching player stats and the standings intrigued him. I wish I'd looked at it that way, because like you, I just have no proclivity for math.

Gloria said...

Hi Susan:
We have the same answer for #1.
So thankful you were blessed with 3 children!
Thank you for sharing your recipe. I really am looking
forward to trying it.
Have a great Saturday.

https://gloriasretiredlife.blogspot.com/

Stacy said...

Aw...look at Elijah go! He is great and for such a little guy. My son was a drummer, too. He only does it for fun these days.
Our prayer times are about the same except my long time is first thing in the morning. I hate to admit it, but I'd probably fall asleep if I tried to do it at night. lol
Happy Saturday!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi! Yes, for prayer! Me too. How do people get through life without it?? mom made jello recipes like that too. I enjoyed reading your answers and getting to know you a bit more.

songbird's crazy world said...

Oh shoot …

Lori said...

I pray the way you do, during the day I walk around talking to God and at night I have the people I am praying for and asking for help. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

CountryDew said...

I'm glad the infertility stuff worked for you. Didn't for me. Is what it is. When I was young, us children used to say things like "son of a sea biscuit" and "oh shoot" for curse words. At least you didn't taste soap that way.

Tammy said...

Hi, Susan. It's really nice to have such a great prayer routine. I have fallen out of mine, and I really need to get back into it. I pray right before bed, but I end up falling asleep before I finish. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and pray, but it's not enough. I definitely need more structure. I hope you have a blessed Sunday. <3

Creations By Cindy said...

Enjoyed reading this so much! I have always been a Barbra Streisand fan. Loved her singing. But I know a lot of people that never cared for it. Prayer..Oh yes girl! A very much part of my daily life and a lot of nights! Hope you have a wonderful week and thanks for the recipe. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Linda said...

I always enjoy your posts Susan, they always make me smile.

Jules said...

Hi Susan, I understand your struggles with infertility. I am EXTREMELY lucky to have Shawn. I have made that recipe you shared! It's soooo good! Strawberry would be wonderful too. Have a great day!