Saturday, October 24, 2020

 

Saturday 9: Lights (2011)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? 

Hear it here.


1) This song was inspired by a young Ellie Goulding's fear of the dark. What scared you when you were a kid?  Does math count as an answer?
 
2) She thinks back to the room where her brother and sister slept and she felt safe. Did you share a room when you were growing up?
I  a room with my younger sister. We are 3 1/2 years apart. We did okay when we were young, but we could get into when we were teenagers. My sister that is 16 months younger than me had to have her own room because of her asthma.

3) Ellie Goulding grew up in public housing and worked her way through the University of Kent in Canterbury. Back in those days, her favorite job was theater usher because it offered her the perk of seeing plays for free. What's the most recent "freebie" you scored? (This includes a buy one/get one deal, extra points on your credit card, etc.) When I went to the beach with my friends, one of them bought my desert, a Balboa bar. A small block of vanilla ice cream dipped in chocolate and then rolled in what you want. I chose chopped almonds and almond brittle.
 
4) Even though today she is an international music star, Ellie still lives modestly. She describes herself as "still in university mode," and limits herself to $10/day for lunch. Where do you economize? I color my own hair and I don't have my nail done. I buy things with coupons or on sale. We make meals last a few days.

5) Ellie has proclaimed herself "a cat lady" and often posts pictures of her cats to her Instagram account. What's the most recent photo you took? My son came over with his kids and Minne was so happy to see them! Elijah was playing with her on the bed and I had to take this picture. Look how she is looking at him ♥

6) Ellie appeared on Sesame Street. She, Elmo and Abby thanked clouds for raindrops, lakes, and the water we drink. Would you be thankful for a little rain this weekend? Yes I would! We have finally cooled down and rain was forecast for Sunday but it fizzled out.

7) In 2011, the year "Lights" was a hit, Prince William married Kate Middleton. Ellie not only attended the wedding, she sang Elton John's "Your Song" for the couple's first dance. Tell us a song that reminds you of a romance in your life. Color My World by Chicago.
It was the dance we did with our wedding party. I have a large wedding party. At the reception. Each couple walked in and formed a line and then they created an
arch that we went through. After we went through each coupe separated and then when they were done they formed a circle around us. Then toward the end they because couples and
dance around us until the song ended.

 
8) Also in 2011, AT&T abandoned their attempt to buy T-Mobile. Which company is your cell phone carrier? Are you happy with them? We have Verizon with my daughter's work discount. I am happy with them. I have had good reception over the years.

9) Random question: What recent experience made you feel old? My mind does not feel old but my body reminds me I am. I have lost a lot of muscle and my Dr said it is because of aging and dealing with osteoporosis. Hopefully I don't have to add heart problems to the list. I basically stopped exercising with this pandemic and I have know one to blame except my lazy self. Now that the weather is cooling off, I plan to go walking.

If you missed my last post, there are pictures from our Yosemite trip, October 2019.

 

10 comments:

The Gal Herself said...

Love that photo! Look at all the love, trust and fun!

Yes, math counts. It still terrifies me.

Stacy said...

As far as I'm concerned, math absolutely counts! I am back to getting my hair colored by someone who knows what they are doing, but manicures and pedicures have gone out the window since I'm not working and the pandemic. I miss those a lot. I love the pampering you get with them. How cute is the picture of your grandson and your pup! My little toy poodle is like that with our younger grands since she's been around them so much. She tends to hide from the older two because she doesn't know them very well and they scare her with their loudness and enthusiasm. Yes, the body and mind disagree on my age all the time. :) It's in the 50's with a bit of rain here, today, but not enough rain. We are quite a bit below the norm for the year. Have a blessed day!

CountryDew said...

Color My World. I haven't thought of that song in years, but it is a beautiful song. And yes, math counts!

Me, Myself, and I said...

We started a walking program in September and have gone from once around the park to 2-1/2 miles 5 days a week. I'm astounded at myself, since Lazy is pretty much my baseline when it comes to exercise. It's really been good for my mental health though--to get out of the house. I like that hubs comes with--and I sure do feel better! Have a great weekend :)

Lori said...

I walked all during the pandemic and now that I am back at school I stand and walk a lot still. I have also just been eating salad at work, so I am trying to do better. I love to walk. I wish we could walk together. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

zippiknits...sometimes said...

What a sweet thing to do at a wedding reception. I can imagine that, and the song. I love the group, Chicago, all their songs.

Your little doggie looks terrifically happy playing with your grandson. that's so cute, the little dog grin!

Hopefully you can get back to walking before too long. I so understand that loss of muscle and bone mass. Happily your heart is still doing good! :o)

Linda said...

Yes, math counts, grin. I hope your having a great Saturday. smiles

songbird's crazy world said...

Color My World ...what a sweet memory.

Annie said...

I hope your heart turns out to be just fine! Love your wedding memory there!

Mari said...

I have one brother and 2 sisters. Us girls all shared a room until my parents built a house when I was in 8t grade. I got my own room them.
Friends and I were just talking about how we still feel young in the mind, but not the body... Praying your heart turns out good.