1) An early handwritten manuscript of "The Star Spangled Banner" (complete with scratch outs) is preserved at the Maryland Historical Society. Today, much of what we write is preserved in The Cloud. Do you often write down your thoughts with pen or pencil? Or do you do everything on your laptop, pad or phone? Most of what I have written has been on my blogs. But since I started Bible journaling and participating in different groups, I have many journals filled with thoughts and Bible verses. I do have a blog from 2002 - 2020. I have saved it as text documents and on a disc.
2) It's well-known that the lyrics were written by Francis Scott Key. Not so well known is John Stafford Smith, the British composer who gave us the music. He is buried in England's Gloucester Cathedral, under both the US and UK flags. Where is the nearest United States flag waving near you right now?
There is one hanging outside on our garage. I have a smaller one in the front porch that is a garden flag. There are a few other flags that have a patriotic design.
3) This week's video features Lady Gaga singing The National Anthem before the 2016 Super Bowl. She also performed it at President Biden's Inauguration last January. When is the last time you sang it? Last 4th of July.
4) Our second and third Presidents, John Adams and Thomas Jefferson, both died on July 4, 1826. OK, it's your turn. Share a Presidential fact. President Lincoln and President Kennedy were shot while in office. They both had vice presidents with the Johnson last name who then became the next president
5) John Hancock said his signature on the Declaration of Independence was intentionally large so King George could see it without his glasses. Do you need glasses to read? I need glasses for everything!
6) The Revolutionary War still raged during that summer of 1777. General George Washington allowed his soldiers to celebrate with a double ration of run on July 4. Will you be toasting the United States with an adult beverage this weekend? No, just ice water with fruit.
7) Since this year, July 4th falls on a Sunday, banks and post offices will be closed will be closed on Monday. Thanks to email and ATMs, Sam doesn't find this a hardship. How about you? Do you find it inconvenient to go an extra day without regular USPS delivery or access to a teller at the bank? I have no problem with it. I went to the post office today to buy stamps and mail letters and a package to Hawaii. I just received a package from Hawaii with a coffee mug, pouch and a cute camping paperclip.
8) Celebrity chef Rachael Ray says she considers mini-hamburgers, or "sliders," the All-American food. What will you be eating this 4th of July? We usually have Bbq chicken, hamburgers and hot dogs. Hubby likes to have sweet white corn. I plan to cook zucchini, mushrooms and onion. Our kids all have other plans. We are going to a family baby shower today. Sunday I plan to get caught up with my Bible journaling and camp crafting. We will also have our grand doggie who hates fireworks. I will probably go in the spa and relax that day too.
9) The 4th of July is a highlight of the summer season. Have you yet suffered the traditional warm weather maladies: sunburn or bug bites? I have had a couple of mosquito bites.











10 comments:
Have a good 4th of July.
https://gloriasretiredlife.blogspot.com/
Awesome photos! We went to my former employer yesterday to look for July 4th t shirts. I was sadly disappointed, they had none (looking at your photo). But we did find some at Tractor Supply, sigh. Have a great July 4th, Susan! smiles
#6 That is what I have in the refrigerator a bottle of water with orange, lemon, lime, and Kiwi slices.
I cut off the rind on them first, I think that make the water bitter.
Happy Independence Day to you and your family, Susan. God bless America!
Loved your happy 4th of July pix.
This Kennedy-Lincoln connection always makes me smile: both men were married to fashionistas who gave them headaches with their clothing bills.
There’s a whole list of Kivoln-Kennedy connections. Eerie.
I love the 4th of July decor! I wish mosquitoes would go away. They ruin summer for me. Maybe I need a bat house. Bats eat them. Loved your answers! Have a safe and Happy 4th of July!
https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/
I wish they had offered those blog books way back when. I know I purposely deleted my old blogs, but I kind of wish I had a record of some of them. Seems to me there was some good stuff on them. Your decorations for the 4th are so cute! But then your decorations always are. :) Have a happy day journaling!
Your house and kids all look cute and patriotic! Happy Fourth to all of you!
You sound very happy in your responses. I hope you had a good holiday weekend!
Post a Comment